Plaxtol’s name is Anglo-Saxon and its heritage is of farming, paper making and tanning.
The Parish Church is Cromwellian, one of only three built between 1649 and 1660, and (as was customary in those days) has no patron saint. Other major buildings include the Fairlawne Estate (over 300 years old), which, during the 19th & 20th centuries, became a place to visit for Queen Victoria, Winston Churchill and The Queen Mother; and also Old Soar Manor, a 13th century hall house now owned by the National Trust. In the early 19th century a Roman Villa was excavated, from which a bronze statuette was unearthed and this is now used as a symbol of the village.
Plaxtol still retains a village store and post office, a butchers, a primary school, a memorial hall, two recreation grounds, the Garratt Memorial Land (an area for quiet thinking amongst years old apple trees) and three pubs: The Papermakers Arms in the centre of the village, The Plough in near-by hamlet Basted (within the Plaxtol parish) and the Golding Hop, similarly near-by in Yopps Green. There is also a large number of local societies (see Organisations on this website).
The Parish newsletter, The Plaxtol Herald, is published monthly. For more information, or to submit items for inclusion, contact the editors Peter Crossley at email@example.com and Peter Brewin at firstname.lastname@example.org.